The chilly weather makes crave classic comfort food. When you think “comfort food” you certainly do not envision a figure friendly dish.
Health.com to the rescue! I found this fantabulous recipe and knew this would be a tasty treat and perfect as the weather begins to change seasons. However we are now at the end of September and it will be 85 degrees tomorrow? Really?
Nonetheless this was a perfect Sunday dinner for hubs and me. It was tres easy and so tasty and just as yummy for lunch the next day.
The secret ingredient? Wontons wrappers for the lasagna “noodle.” Who knew? A great way to trim up calories and not sacrifice flavor!
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons pesto, divided
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 (5 ounce) box baby spinach
- 18 wonton wrappers (1 package)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, 2 tablespoons pesto, and egg white; stir well.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon water in a medium skillet over medium heat; cook spinach until wilted (about 2 minutes), stirring well.
4. Spread remaining 2 tablespoons pesto in an 8-inch square baking dish; top with 6 wontons, overlapping slightly. Layer half of ricotta mixture evenly over top of wontons; add half of peppers over ricotta mixture.
5. Top peppers with another 6 wontons, remaining ricotta mixture, half of spinach, and remaining peppers. Top peppers with remaining 6 wontons and spinach. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan; cover tightly with foil.
6. Bake lasagna, in middle of oven, until cheese is melted and bubbly (about 20 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into 6 equal-size pieces.